Safe Surfer believes a safer Internet experience is something all children deserve. Our young people should be protected from nasty content—like pornography and other adult content, graphic violence, malware, and illegal sites. We want to help you in protecting your young people from the effects of harmful material.
Having an easy ability to start filtering pornographic content should not be a costly privilege—it needs to be a right.
So, what can we do about it? lets share some simple steps towards keeping your young people safe online now.
Handy tips to keep kids surfing safely between the flags
- Show interest in what your children are doing online—hang out or game with them. You can just sit and watch. Not only will this provide quality time, but it will also some insight into what your children do online and the digital world they interact with.
- Help your kids take breaks from looking at screens, you’ll find a time frame that works for your family and with our screen time function, you can set the internet access times per device making this easier to manage. 45 min breaks every hour is what some experts are suggesting.
- With mobile devices being, well, mobile devices— wait as long as possible to give them one, instead encourage your children to use a laptop or desktop computer in an open space like the family room for any surfing they do.
- Chat to your children about what they would like to watch online, YouTube, Netflix, or other streaming services. Before they watch or play something you’re unfamiliar with, check out its content and rating via family reviews online like Common Sense Media who have really fair insight into programming and games.
- Download the Safe Surfer app on Android and iOS mobile devices—we provide adult and pornographic website filtering for free. Get a Pro Surfer subscription to filter additional categories and social media platforms, manage content controls, monitor usage, and configure email reports.
- Check if your device is protected by viewing the protection widget on our website homepage here: https://www.safesurfer.co.nz
- Getting a Pro Surfer subscription enables you to generate email reports from monitored Android devices.
- Keep your web conversations continuing by using our book: Keeping Safe on the Web with Kyle the Kingfish.
Wishing both the physical and online safety of you and your family.
Safe Surfer team
Check out our social media below!