Family Link is a recently released service from Google. It’s intended to help parents keep track of, and restrict what their child is doing on their Android device, ranging from filtering app installs to the amount of time spent using any given app or the device overall.
Setting up Google Family link is quite straightforward.
- Install the “Google Family Link for parents” app on the management device and the “Google Family Link for children & teens” app on the child’s device.
In the Family Link for parents app, select the Google Account you wish to use as the “Parent” account.
You will then be prompted to choose what user will be using this phone, select Parent.
- If your account is not already a family manager you will be prompted to become one, if you’re already a family manager select “continue”
- You’ll be asked if your child has a Google Account. If they do, tap “Yes” and input the account credentials. You can set up a new Google Account by tapping “No” and then following the instructions to make the account.
- After you’ve added your child’s account, you’ll be prompted to find your child’s device. Tap “Next,” and you’ll be given a nine-digit code for linking their device.
- On your child’s device, open the “Google Family Link for children & teens” app and follow the on-screen instructions.
- When needed put in the nine-digit code on the child’s device, and wait for the devices to link.